I am 37 weeks today, and trying to remain healthy in my pregnancy is getting tougher by the day. The motivation is there, but so is the exhaustion…and the candy. I want all the candy. My belly is starting to outgrow my maternity clothes…how is that possible?
I know what’s important: keeping a balanced diet, getting rest, taking it easy…it all sounds good, in theory. However, we just moved! I have a nursery I want to decorate. Mopping the floors in a house takes 5 times longer than in an apartment. I want to wrap everything up neatly at work. I get random bursts of energy at 3am that make sleep impossible…and the giant belly currently ruling my life doesn’t make it easy to get comfortable.
Please don’t think I am complaining about this final stage. This pregnancy is something I hoped and prayed for, and so I am thankful for it….all of it. However, even the thankfully pregnant grow weary from time to time.
In spite of the increase in treating myself to candy and chip dip, I have found a few tricks to help me stay somewhat healthy and strong through this final push of pregnancy. These habits I am clinging to don’t require a lot of change to my normal routine. Because it’s Friday, I I thought it would be fun to share five of them!
1. Juices: Purple and red juices have been my thing these past few weeks. Any juice I can find with beets, and maybe some purple carrots, has tasted overly amazing. Naked Bright Beets gives me a huge boost of energy, and is packed with Vitamin A (good for baby’s eye health). I like to compliment my morning bagel carbs with a loaded juice, for balance.
2. A Glass Waterbottle: I finally broke down a week ago and made the switch from a plastic to a glass water bottle. While I can’t be quite as rough on my Ello as I was on my Camelback, I love that the taste of a glass water bottle is fresher. It’s easy to clean (dishwasher safe), and if I throw in a Nuun, I don’t taste it for days after.
3. Compression Socks: I thought I loved my compression socks before…but now, they are lifesavers. My Sockwells are continuing to keep my ankle swelling down, and pulling them on after a long day is a treat for me feet. Granted, the actual process of getting them on is a battle with a 37 week belly. Yet, once they are on, the struggle seems small in comparison to the reward.
4. Low impact Cardio: I am using yoga and low-impact cardio videos to keep strong and prepare mentally for birth. I am planning to keep perfecting my yoga playlist so that I can maybe use it during birth. Giving birth last time was traumatic for me, and I am doing all I can to prepare for this time to be as relaxed as possible.
5. My Snoogle: This pillow is a sleep-saver. Seriously. I am pretty sure this is the only reason why I am resting as well as I am at night. Whenever I lie awake, it’s not from being uncomfortable; it’s just a crazy hormone rush. I use the Snoogle under my head, have it support my back, and come through my knees to offer cushion under my big belly. If I fall asleep on the couch without it, I wake up with a very sore back.
I can’t believe how close I am to delivery! I have mixed emotions that I am working to sort out. Overall, I just can’t wait to kiss her face…and three weeks isn’t too long to wait.
This Friday, I linked up with: